Well I have been very busy this weekend. Had a Saturday final yesterday, followed by a terrible shift at Job #2, and now I have developed a cold. However, Friday was great.
I found this link for how to dye yarn with, of all things, Koolaid!
And much to my delight, it turns out that this was knitted with two strands of yarn together, which means that I can now make an actual pair of socks instead of a pair of ankle socks. Not that there’s anything wrong with ankle socks, I just think being stuffed down into shoes defeats the purpose of a good custom dye job. So, I set about the half-hour process of splitting the yarn into two skeins.
As you can see, it was all crinkled and looks like Ramen Noodles
Once that was done, I realized I only had one package of Strawberry Koolaid, so I could only do one skein today. I set the water and powder to boil with a little extra water than the original video stated to use. And I started pre-soaking the yarn in water.
As soon as that simmered, in went the yarn. I didn’t even squeeze out the extra water because I was using a big pot, and it was pretty shallow in the water. I even added a little extra water, so in total I probably used a total of 2 1/2 cups. I kept to the rules and didn’t stir the yarn around, but because it was so shallow I had to pick it up and move it around quite a bit so it wouldn’t be splotchy.
The best part: The yarn soaked up the color entirely. The water left in the pot was completely clear. The whole process took about ten minutes to absorb, and I am so happy with the result!
It looks so good! I absolutely can’t wait to find the perfect pattern wo complete this process!